Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Echo, Echo, Echo, Echo

Karen Watson, a modern-day martyr, was a Southern Baptist missionary killed in Iraq on March 15, 2004. Karen wrote her own epitaph in a letter that she left behind with her pastors. The envelope said “Open in case of death,” and the letter said in part:

Dear Pastor Phil and Pastor Roger,

You should only be opening this in the event of death.

When God calls there are no regrets. I tried to share my heart with you as much as possible, my heart for the nations. I wasn't called to a place; I was called to Him. To obey was my objective, to suffer was expected, His glory my reward, His glory my reward . . .

The missionary heart:

Cares more than some think is wise
Risks more that some think is safe
Dreams more than some think is practical
Expects more than some think is possible.

I was called not to comfort or to success but to obedience. . . .

There is no Joy outside of knowing Jesus and serving Him. I love you two and my church family.

In His care,

Salaam, Karen


Such a heart humbles me and causes me to cry out to God, “Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.” I’m reminded of Soren Kierkegaard’s words when he said, “When one preaches Christianity in such a way that the echo answers, ‘Away with that man from the earth, he does not deserve to live,’ know then that this is the Christianity of the New Testament. Without change since the time of our Lord Jesus Christ, capital punishment is the penalty for preaching Christianity as it truly is.”

I wonder what the echo of my life is saying…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I wonder what the echo of my life is saying…"

I'll tell you what I'm hearing. . .

I hear a sincere Pastor trying to lead his flock to a right relationship with Christ (trying his best to support his stance while giving all sides to the issue).

I would attend Hilldale because I enjoy your delivery, but I would not become a member (because my search of the Scriptures remembers the words of Christ telling us that we would know them by their fruits). . . and my words -- not their theology).

Theology and doctrine of the Baptist religion doesn't allow for spiritual growth beyond the drawn religious lines.

Judgement is not listed as one of the attibutes of "love" or listed in the "fruits of the Spirit" for a reason.

Righteous judgement turns the sword of the Spirit inward and transforms our own minds and actions to the mind of Christ.

I'm alone in my belief, thus, I can accept it's fallacy; but I have chosen this belief because of the "understanding of the times" and the "seeing the truth of the scriptures."

World’s Jesus’
Cause Effect Way Out Way Out
[1] [2] [3] [4]
______ _____ Addiction Stops Cycle

1 Bad/Sour Fruit
2 Stronghold of treating people
the way they were treated
3 Treating people with bad fruit
&/or hiding pain with drugs,
alcohol, sex, job, etc.
4 Treating people the way that you
want to be treated (with good
fruit)

Everyone wants to be treated with kindness,respect, appreciation and of value to the world (along with all of the other fruits of the spirit.)

NO ONE wants to be judged by anyone other than GOD. However, at least,it is understandable if a law of the land has been broken.

Please forgive my rambling. I trust that you you find some sort of encouragement in these words. No offense is meant.

Barbara
(Understanding spiritual critique may not allow this posted to your blog -- I'm not writing a book, starting a ministry, or for that matter, planning a website. If the information is of the Holy Spirit, I trust that it will be utilized).

Larry Robertson said...

It sounds like you've been burned at some point in your past...and I'm sorry for that. My request, however, would be to find the way not to judge every other church or all Christians through the lens of your pain. There are hypocrites in every arena of life, but we can't go on living because of that. Thank you for taking the time to share your heart on my blog!
--LDR

Anonymous said...

I wasn't writing in reference to hypocrites. I was writing in reference to "the world" and immature Christians not knowing that the words that we've made out of "the word" hurts both Christians and the world.

The Holy Spirit in me has made
peace with the different religions being "a catalyst" for searching the scriptures harder. In other words, I feel as though the Holy Spirit in me found the "loop hole."

It's "human nature" to judge.

Spiritual growth eats from all religions (comparing everything to the Holy Bible).

Baby (milk)
Toddler (smashed food/finger foods)
Child (favorites)
Mature (all food groups)

Hebrews 13:9