Friday, November 23, 2007

"...and, NO, he's not my uncle"

I should have written this weeks ago.

If you've heard me speak on politics at any point, chances are you've heard me say that I don't believe the hope of our nation's future rests with a particular political party, per se. I am involved in the political process, though; I VOTE. But I was shocked recently when a leading religious leader (albeit becoming a bit Alzheimer-ish) gave his full endorsement to a leading, socially-liberal, Republican presidential candidate. Pat Robertson put his stamp of approval on former NYC mayor, Rudy Giuliani.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm glad Rudy Giuliani did such a good job as mayor of New York City. I love that place. I'm glad he responded with such good leadership after 9/ll. He jumped in and led with all the world watching. BUT...BUT...BUT...I'm not so certain I want him at the helm of the most powerful nation on earth. And I'm alarmed that Pat Robertson, a still revered leader of the Religious Right, would endorse the thrice-married, abortion-supporting, pro-gay, and anti-gun candidate.

Robertson claimed that terrorism trumps the social issues that have fueled the conservative Christian movement for more than 20 years. He said, "Our world faces deadly peril...and we need a leader with a bold vision who is not afraid to tackle the challenges ahead." Robertson said that one of the main reasons he's supporting Giuliani is "judges, judges, and judges." He said that Giuliani "has assured the American people that he's going to appoint justices in the likeness of Scalia and John Roberts, et cetera...and I believe him."

Now let's get this straight...Giuliani disdains the sanctity of marriage vows. He supports killing babies while they're still in their mother's wombs. He's an advocate of the gay agenda. He supports squelching the Second Amendment. And he's the guy Pat Robertson wants in the White House because he's going to appoint conservative judges. [Imagine me shaking my head in disbelief with a sarcastic grin on my face.]

Pat Robertson has done enough damage to the Christian cause already through his foolish, injurious rambling about world affairs. Remember him calling for the assasination of Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's president/dictator? As a result, Chavez booted out about half of the Christian missionaries, claiming they were in cahoots with the CIA. I have no doubt that Chavez is mentally imbalanced and an evil man. I have no doubt that Venezuelans are being oppressed. I have no doubt that Chavez hates America. But Robertson's flippant comments about killing Chavez were irresponsible, unacceptable, and inappropriate.

Do I think terrorism is a real threat to US security? Absolutely. Most of Washington and the presidential candidates don't, though, or we'd be doing something about securing our borders! (That's a topic that'll have to wait for another day.) But do we actually have to choose between national security and national morality in the upcoming presidential election? I don't think so.

I wish I could say that Pat Robertson's voice were obsolete and irrelevant. Unfortunately, however, millions still watch him every day on CBN.

On another yet related note, it's going to be interesting to see what happens if the Republican presidential nominee is, in fact, Rudy Giuliani. How will those who believe the GOP is "God's Own Party" respond? Will they continue to tow the party line? I know they'd never cross the party line to vote Democratic, but what will they do? And what will they tell America to do? We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

Remember this, though: "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people" (Proverbs 14:34).

No comments: