Monday, November 26, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I was out and about this morning and was reminded everywhere I looked that Christmas is coming. Actually, I love this time of year like no other...it's not the commercialization of the holiday I like, I assure you, but I do love the decorations and the carols and the spirit.

I've been thinking this morning about Christmas because I'm beginning my Christmas sermon series this weekend. As challenging as preaching on Christmas is (i.e. staying fresh), I love the whole process--planning, preparing, and delivering the messages. It seems that people are especially open to hearing about Jesus during these days, so we shouldn't miss the chance to share the good news.

I heard the story recently of the little girl who came home from Sunday school waving a paper for her mother to see. “Look Mommy,” she exclaimed, “Teacher says I drew the most unusual Christmas picture she ever saw!”

Her mother took one look and had to agree with the teacher. Hoping her daughter could explain her creation, the mother asked, “Why are all these people riding in the back of an airplane?”

“Well, Mommy, that's the flight into Egypt.”

Accepting that, the mother asked another question: “Who is this mean-looking man in the front?”

Her daughter answered quickly and knowingly: “That's Pontius, the Pilot.”

Looking at the picture even more closely, the mother said, “I see you have Mary and Joseph and the baby. But who is this large man sitting behind Mary?”

“Can't you tell?” the little girl asked, beginning to shake her head in disappointment. “That's Round John Virgin.”

That story reminds me that people don’t always get the details of the Christmas story right. Maybe they’ve never read the Bible or maybe we’ve never told them. Either way, they’re missing out on the greatest news ever given to mankind! Let’s make it our purpose this Christmas to share the greatest Christmas gift ever…Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.