Saturday, June 27, 2009

How Long Before You Feel “Antsy”?

About a month ago (May 28), USA Today reported in one of their “Snapshots” the findings of a 2009 survey by Qwest Communications in which respondents were asked how long they could last before feeling “antsy” about checking E-mail, instant messaging, or other social networking sites. Of those surveyed, 47% said they couldn’t last more than an hour…46% said they could only make it one day…and the remaining 7% said they could probably go a week without checking in.

Now, I understand this sensation…I really do. The first thing I do when I get into the office is check my E-mail. Facebook has connected me to more than 700 of my friends (thus far)…and I enjoy receiving correspondence from them. I don’t IM but I know its appeal. The same could be said about cell phone use, although that wasn’t part of the survey.

But I’m wondering how long we could last before feeling “antsy” about checking to see what fresh word God has for us in His Word. How intentional are we about reading, studying, and meditating upon our Bibles?

I received an E-mail some time back that seems appropriate to this discussion:

Cell phone vs. Bible

Ever wonder what would happen if we treated our Bible like we treat our cell phone?

What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?
What if we flipped through it several time a day?
What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?
What if we used it to receive “text” messages?
What if we treated it like we couldn’t live without it?
What if we gave it to our kids as gifts?
What if we used it when we traveled?
What if we used it in case of emergency?

This is something to make you go....hmm...where is my Bible?

Oh, and one more thing.
Unlike our cell phone, we don’t have to worry about our Bible being disconnected because Jesus already paid the bill!

See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great stuff Bro. Larry...I need simple reminders like this all the time! Thanks for taking the time to post this...even if you only have one reader...ha! Linda