Monday, May 24, 2010

But I thought that this is why I pay money every month for insurance...

I just got off the phone with the insurance company that Verizon represents regarding cell phones. You probably know the routine, even if you've never had to use it. If you lose or damage your phone, the insurance allows you to replace your phone for a modest fee (which is far less than purchasing a new phone).

At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

Rebecca's phone was lost this weekend (actually due to no fault of her own, but that's another story). I took her to Verizon...who gave me the insurance company's number to call. The very nice lady assured us, "Just call this number and they'll overnight you a phone. It's that simple." Because I'm such a trusting person, I actually believed her. And to be honest with you, I think she believed what she said. But that's not exactly the story we got on the phone.

"I'm sorry, but that phone is on backorder and there are no comparable models." A bit puzzled, I asked, "Exactly what are you saying?" The guy said, "I'm saying that there is nothing we can do to help you at this time...but when we get that model in, we'll give you a call." Still a bit puzzled, I said, "But I thought that this is why I pay money every month for insurance...so that when something like this happens, we can get a replacement phone." He said, "It is. Unfortunately, at this time, we don't have any of those phones or any models comparable to your daughter's phone."

It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode when Jerry went to pick up the rental car he had reserved:

Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?
Rental Car Agent: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.
Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.
Rental Car Agent: I think I know why we have reservations.
Jerry: I don't think you do. You see, you know how to 'take' the reservation, you just don't know how to 'hold' the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

But I digress.

I'm trying to see something positive in all of this...and one thought I've had is, "I'm sure glad God's promises aren't like this." 1 Corinthians 1:9 says, "God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord." His faithfulness is guaranteed with no exceptions or fine print...no "I'm sorry, but...." If God said it, He'll do it!

I can be encouraged by God's word...even if I'm frustrated by Verizon's insurance company. ;-)

(In light of all that some people are going through today, by the way, this is minor.)

2 comments:

Barbara said...

It may be trivial in light other things going on, but all of has heard that the devil is in the details. This is diffidently the details on life in America. If it weren't for those companies’ greed, the managers would/should insure the inventory is sufficient to handle the demands of business.

However, you gave a GREAT example of turning the tables on "what satan means as harm, God uses for good."

However, you gave a great example of turning the tables on "what satan means as harm, God uses for good." You're use to finding Biblical references, but all of us can do it if we just asked what God is trying to teach us.

Anonymous said...

Familiar story. Minor yet inconvenient. Welcome back to blogging.