Wednesday, September 5, 2007

So, I was in Starbucks this morning...

Some of you have joked about my affection for Starbucks, and it’s true…I do love Starbucks. But I’m afraid many folk have a misconception about my favorite coffee house. I’ve even heard it called “Six-bucks” (although it doesn’t really cost that much). The misconception, I think, is in the idea that Starbucks sells coffee.

Now it’s true; they do sell coffee (my favorite is a Triple Venti Soy Latté). But they sell more than coffee; they sell community.

I’ve stated on several occasions that the days of Mayberry are long-gone. Many of us remember growing up sitting on front porches sipping sweet tea or coffee and chatting with our friends and family. But the urbanization of our society has robbed us of those “good ole days.” Yet our need for community remains the same. We need relationships; God made us that way.

Starbucks has touched a delicate part of the American life—the need for community. I’ve often thought how the church ought to be more like Starbucks. Not that I want us to sell coffee, but we certainly should be a place where people (lives) connect. I can’t tell you how many times Beth and I have sat at a Starbucks by ourselves or with friends and just talked…sometimes for 3-4 hours. My girls even love to hang out with us.

Shouldn’t church be that way? Shouldn’t church be a place where friends meet and community (koinonia fellowship) happens? I don’t necessarily mean hanging out in the church foyer that long but connecting with people and building friendships that will literally last a lifetime.

Why don’t you give these ideas some thought…perhaps over a cup of coffee at Starbucks? :-) See you there!

No comments: