Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Would Jesus Be a Republican or a Democrat?"

Well, it's already started.

You see, I had our church sign updated this morning to announce the next and final sermon in my "Hot Potatoes" sermon series. This Sunday, Lord-willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be preaching a message entitled "Would Jesus Be a Republican or a Democrat?" Someone called our church office within a few hours of the announcement to express her extreme displeasure with my sermon title.

I find that rather interesting..."that" meaning her extreme displeasure at a title...expecially when I haven't even answered the question yet! :-) Nevertheless, the title's doing what I hoped it would. It's piquing interest.

Some may say, "But, Pastor, are you sure you want to deal with that question?" Let me tell you what's on my mind without stealing the thunder from Sunday's sermon. I recall reading in my studies in the history of evangelism that chaplains on both sides of the Civil War--Union and Confederate--preached of God's favor for their respective causes. In other words, God was on their side. I'm not weighing in one way or the other on the Civil War; I'm just pointing out that everyone seems to think God's on their side...and not on the side of those who have differing opinions. Republicans demonize Democrats and deify their own party, and vice versa.

I understand the necessity of politics, and I am personally involved in the political process by voting. However, the hope for America doesn't lie in politics. I grow weary with people, even many preachers, who believe blessing or judgment falls on our nation exclusively based on who gets in the White House...and it all depends on who's talking as to what the future holds.

It reminds me of living in Alabama. People would ask if you were an Alabama or Auburn fan before they asked your name! It was like your eternal destiny depended on your favorite football team, and where you would spend eternity always depended on who you were talking to!

"Would Jesus Be a Republican or a Democrat?" I think that's a question worth asking...and a question worth answering. May He be glorified with the results!


Isaiah 55:9
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.”

1 comment:

R Lyndel Littleton said...

I love the word pique. If you wanted to create interest in a trip to the Rockies would you show a picture - a peek of a peak - to pique their interest?