Saturday, March 10, 2012

Discovering that You Don't Really Want the Very Thing You've Always Wanted

At the age of 19, Kylie Bisutti achieved her dream by beating out 10,000 other contestants in the 2009 Victoria's Secret Model Search contest. But before long, Bisutti was seeing her dream in a different light, specifically the light of her growing walk with Christ. In an interview Kylie said,

“[The modeling world] is a very hard industry to be in without falling into things you don't want to do....It's a very tempting industry....Victoria's Secret was my absolutely biggest goal in life, and it was all I ever wanted career-wise....[But] I'm a Christian, and reading the Bible more, I was becoming more convicted about it....My body should only be for my husband, and it's just a sacred thing. I didn't really want to be that kind of role model for younger girls because I had a lot of younger Christian girls that were looking up to me and then thinking that it was OK for them to walk around and show their bodies in lingerie to guys. It was pretty crazy because I finally achieved my biggest dream, the dream that I always wanted, but when I finally got it, it wasn't all that I thought it would be.”

Have you considered that the things we most long for (and that we work hardest to achieve) might not be all that we think they are? Might they be little more than mirages on the landscape of our imagination? How often do we measure our thoughts and desires against the filter of our faith? How often do we honestly assess our goals and plans against God’s purposes? What a waste of time and resources to commit ourselves to achieving some goal that, in the end, contradicts the heart of God!

I’m just a fellow traveler…giving you something to chew on today.

No comments: