Thursday, March 1, 2012

Keepin' On Keepin' On

Like many of you, I’m reading through the Bible this year. I’m almost finished with the Old Testament book of Joshua in which Joshua leads the people of Israel to claim what is rightfully theirs by the decree of the LORD. One little detail that we sometimes overlook, however, is that to possess their inheritance…they had to dispossess the inhabitants who were already there.

The tribes of Israel were promised the land of Canaan as their inheritance by the LORD. It was theirs…but not without a fight.

I’m reminded this morning of promises God has made to us as His children—promises of victory and peace and hope. But while such promises are assured, they’re not automatic. We must “fight the good fight of faith,” as the apostle Paul put it in 1 Timothy 6:12, if we’re to enjoy what is rightfully ours.

Unfortunately, perhaps we’ve taken the old hymn a bit too literally:
Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
Listening every moment to the Spirit’s call
Resting in my Savior as my all in all,
Standing on the promises of God.


That song (that I love as one of my favorites) is sometimes misunderstood to suggest that faith is stationary, yet faith is active! In fact, the Christian life is one battle after another.

On this first day of March, keep pressing ahead as we continue our 40 Days of Prayer & Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough. We have an enemy who opposes us, but we must resist him and dispossess his influence in and around our lives. I’m praying for you!

“Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:12).

No comments: