Thursday, March 8, 2012

"Lord, Help Me Be More Like Charlie"

Last night I finished up preaching a series of revival meetings at First Baptist Church, Centerville, TN. It was a blessed week with precious people. But I want to tell you about a 9-year old boy named Charlie.

After I finished preaching last night, I knelt in the altar to pray for God to move in the hearts of people...when I felt this soft touch on my left shoulder. Believing someone was trying to get my attention to talk, I lifted my eyes only to find a boy praying over me. I discovered that he wasn't wanting to talk to me about God; he was talking to God about me!

I didn't hear everything Charlie said, but my heart was so humbled to hear this young man praying, "...and God, thank you for bringing this man to our church to preach this week." I couldn't help but think of that old phrase, "From your lips to God's ear." I can't tell you what that prayer did for my heart.

Let me give you a couple of thoughts to ponder today. First, would you have been willing to do what Charlie did when YOU were a 9-year old? Go to the altar, lay your hand on the shoulder of the visiting evangelist, and pray for him? That was a courageous thing to do. I pray God would give me that kind of courage to do whatever He impresses upon my heart to do...and that I would act on it.

Second, might there be someone you meet today who needs your encouragement? You know the fuel that someone's encouraging words or timely prayer can put into your tank. I encourage you to be that mouthpiece of God today for someone else.

Yesterday as I was making hospital visits, I met a precious lady on the elevator. She looked at me with some recognition as I boarded, but she wasn't sure how she was supposed to know me...until her eyes fell on our church logo on my shirt. She exclaimed, "You're the pastor of Hilldale Baptist Church! I watch you every week on television!" I'm always humbled that people watch our television ministry and always blessed when they tell me what it means to their spiritual journey.

Considering that we were in a hospital, (after the small talk about our TV ministry) I asked her why she was there. She told me that her husband of 69 years had just had open heart surgery. Her heart was undoubtedly heavy. So I asked her if I could pray for him. And we bowed right there in the hospital lobby, held hands, and prayed for her husband.

When we lifted our heads, she was ecstatic and she had happy tears. She said, "This is of God!" I said, "A divine appointment, no doubt." She said, "God knew how much I needed that right now, so He put you on that elevator with me!" I smiled...and wondered to myself in shame how many times I've been so preoccupied that I missed someone like this precious lady and, thus, missed a divine appointment...and a blessing.

Keep your eyes (and heart) open today...

No comments: