Friday, February 10, 2012

A Lesson Learned from a Travel-Sized Tube of Toothpaste

This week I was in Miami as a Trustee for the North American Mission Board. Before I left town I did the whole routine of buying the tiny TSA-approved toiletries, including a tiny tube of toothpaste. When I used it for the first time, I honestly thought to myself, "This is like me far too often."

First, it was puffed up like it was full of toothpaste...yet I had to squeeze it a couple of seconds before I got anything out because it was mostly just full of air. How often does God find me full of hot air and lacking substance?

Then I couldn't help but think how the only way to get anything out of a tube of toothpaste is to squeeze it. That might not sound terribly profound, but here was my thought: Do I freely give of myself or does God have to squeeze "it" out of me (whatever "it" is)?

And talking about squeezing the toothpaste out of the tube, have you ever noticed that it seems like you can always squeeze just a little bit more out even when you think the tube is empty? I know enough about myself to know that I sometimes tell God that I'm all tapped out...that there's just nothing more. Yet when God squeezes me, I realize I still have something more to give. Why can't I give my all without being forced to do so?

Before you assume that I've fallen off my rocker because I'm now hearing God speak from Crest, consider that Proverbs 6:6 tells us to look at ants for a life lesson. It's not without biblical precedent to observe truth in the context of daily life. And with our current church-wide emphasis on fasting and prayer for spiritual breakthrough, God reminded me of some things about myself that I don't really like to admit...all from a tiny tube of toothpaste.

I'm praying for you!

1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

A few years ago my workplace temporarily moved to a business park and I had the opportunity, during nice weather, to roller skate on a walking/biking path during my lunch hour. It was a great time of reflection, and I remember coming up with "Life Lessons Learned on the Skate Path." It's great that God can speak to us through anything and give us practical reflection!