Monday, February 13, 2012

Short & Sweet

The length of my sermons comes up in conversations from time to time, and I’m usually good-natured about it. Sometimes, though, I think I’ve met the guy who told his pastor, “That sermon was certainly food for thought…but we prefer fast food.” Or how about the pastor who got up in the pulpit one Sunday morning and apologized for the Band-aid on his face? He said “I was thinking about my sermon while shaving and cut my face.” Afterward he found a note in collection plate, “Next time, think about your face and cut the sermon.”

I suppose the same discussion about length could sometimes be said about my blog posts. That’s why this one’s going to be short:

“Christian fasting, at its root, is the hunger of a homesickness for God.” -- John Piper

2 comments:

Melissa Barrow said...

Sometimes I wish your sermons where longer, they're always thought provoking and end way too soon

Phyllis Hobson said...

I've taken a page from brother Lyndel's book, and I quit wearing a watch to work. I think it keeps me from getting distracted about the time, and I just use every aspect of the worship time, whether it be song, prayer, or sermon, to reflect on what God is bringing to my mind. Rarely do I leave a service thinking "Well, that was for someone else, I got nothin" As Melissa commented, your sermons are always thought provoking, and usually conversation provoking between me and Jerry.