Monday, February 18, 2008

CONFESSION: "I'm addicted!"

Just as the title for this blog indicates, I'm confessing my addiction here, today, for all the world to see. Trust me, I know what most people think when others make such a confession--"Well! I've never!" And that's okay. I've come to accept my addiction as a part of my life. In fact, I have to admit that I don't want to stop!

Merriam-Webster.com defines "addicted" as "to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively." Yep, that's about right. I'm addicted.

I've gone for weeks without feeding my addiction...but I always come back. And, honestly, I experience awful withdrawals every minute I'm not immersed in my addiction. You can't "help" me...You can't change me...So, don't even try. I'm addicted and I'm not ashamed!

I'm sure there are some who could coach me through withdrawals. They would probably say things like, "I've been where you are, brother. I've felt what you feel. But I broke away...and you can too!" To which I would have to reply, "Why? Why would I want to do that? This is who I am...and this is who I want to be. I don't have a problem--you have a problem! I could walk away at any moment, but I don't want to...and I'm not going to."

Please don't pray for me to be delivered from my addiction. I'm telling you right now, I don't want to be delivered. And (this'll rock your world), I believe God approves of my addiction. Say what you will...be offended if you will...but I believe God wants this addiction to be in my life. I think my addiction makes me better and wiser and stronger, regardless of what anyone else might have to say about the matter.

What? I haven't told you what I'm addicted to? My family, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. "My name is Larry, and I'm addicted to my wife and daughters." There, I said it...but I'm not changing. ;-)

Beth, Morgan, and Rebecca...I love you! It's been so good to come home this weekend. What a shot of Vitamin B12 does for the body, this quick trip home from Canada has done for me in every way. One more week, and then I'm home, home...

No comments: