Monday, February 4, 2008

How’s it goin’, eh?

In case you don’t know, I’m in Canada for three weeks teaching an “Introduction to Evangelism” class at the Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary. Dr. Roy Fish, well-known evangelism professor from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, was scheduled to teach, but he got sick and had to bow out.

I received a call from the acting academic dean two weeks ago from today asking if there was any way that I could pinch hit for Dr. Fish. After talking it over with my wife and my pastoral staff, I decided to take the plunge…er, actually that’s not the right analogy. It’s -16 degrees Celsius right now, which translates into 1 degree Fahrenheit! Brrrr…

Back to the story of my Canadian adventure…I had my first class session today, and it was wonderful. I have 17 students, and I already know that I’m going to enjoy getting to know them.

I covet your prayers as I prepare my lectures and teach my class.

Teaching an evangelism class is as much about inspiration as it is information, even at the graduate level. I told my students today that although we’re studying evangelism in an academic setting, evangelism is not primarily an academic pursuit! Evangelism is a NATURAL activity for every believer…every follower of Jesus Christ! Matthew 4:19—“And [Jesus] said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

I know that I have the privilege of teaching this evangelism course…I’m going to grade the students’ work…I hope somewhere along the way to inspire them toward greater evangelistic endeavors. BUT Jesus is the only One who can make them “fishers of men.”

Thank you for praying…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was happy to see these two updates on your blog. I am continuing to pray for you and your seminary students daily. I know of no one better than you to teach evangelism, but even more importantly, to demonstrate it in the follower of Jesus that you are! God works powerfully through you each and every day! Please don't get too attached to Canada. We miss you in Clarksville!

Irene