Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pray for Becca

Let me say, first, thank you for checking in on us. It means a great deal to know that you care enough about us and this mission trip to read these updates.

As I type, Becca lies on the bed sleeping. After we awoke this morning and ate breakfast, we had a Wolof language lesson. (Wolof is a widely-used African dialect.) Becca acted very tired then. But we all loaded up and headed out to our first village (as a group…the men went to one briefly yesterday)--a Muslim village. We were very well-received and the children were ExCiTeD, to say the least. We had so much fun with them. But Becca just seemed lethargic, and anyone who knows Becca knows that’s not Becca. She never complained, though, unless I asked her, "What’s wrong?" The missionary, Jason Lee, ended up bringing us (Becca and me) back to the hotel just before lunch.

I’m not sure if she’s struggling with the effects of jetlag or the food or the heat/humidity or the culture shock or what. I covet your prayers for her, though, as I know she would rather be out there interacting with children in the village! Actually, she was quite the celebrity today since she was young. I know God’s going to use her to be a light to these children who live in such spiritual darkness.

Before we left today’s village, the chief wanted to give us both African names. He named Becca first and called her Mamsey Fay (pr. "MAHM-say Fye." The translator told me that the term "mamsey" has to do with "grandmother," but the chief was using it as a term of high honor and respect. The village chief named me after his father and called me Laman Fay (pr. "LAH-mahn Fye"). We have the chief's last name.

Receiving an African name is an important step in building relationships here. I was humbled as the village chief, speaking through our interpreter, pronounced our names over us. At this point, I’m not sure if this happens in each village or if we’ll just tell them our African names in the other villages.

I cannot describe to you how far out of my element I am here. I feel like such an infant! I mentioned last night at dinner that God has reminded me that I must depend upon Him if I am to be used here. The culture and the language are so different than anything I’ve ever experienced. Plus most of the adults (especially the older ones) are illiterate, so doing anything that requires reading won’t work. That’s why storying is so important.

Today, as the children were coming from every direction, I asked them to sit down because I wanted to tell them a story. I told them of a time when some children wanted to approach Jesus but His disciples told them to go away. Jesus told His disciples not to prevent the children from coming to Him…because Jesus loved children…that children are important to Jesus…and that we all must become like children to follow God. It was a challenge but they were receptive…so I told them another story--Noah and the Flood. So different from preaching but fun!

Well, I’ll stop for now. "Ba beneen yoon!" ("Until next time!")


By the way, the pictures are of:
1. The village chief and me.
2. Becca and some of the children.
3. Becca and her namesake in the village.

1 comment:

Brenda J said...

Larry, all it takes is a childlike faith! God can certainly work through what seems like childish Bible stories.