Thursday, July 2, 2009

Senegal Update

Today is our third day in-country and I think we’re finally getting acclimated to the time change. Because I don’t want to change the time on my iPod (which I’m using as our alarm clock), I’m waking up at 1:00 in the morning to take my shower and get dressed. Of course, that’s 6:00 here..but my body’s been protesting since we’ve been in Senegal.

I know many of you have been praying for Becca based on my request yesterday, and I want to thank you. She was feeling better by supper time last night and woke up today as her normal self (which is debatable as to whether that’s a good thing or not…I’M JUST KIDDING!). I’m not sure what caused her to feel dizzy and sick yesterday, but I’m so glad she didn’t have some bug (and that could be literal here!) or something.

Today we spent the morning in the marketplace, which allowed us a double blessing. We were able to interact with the Senegalese and get a better feel for their culture. Plus we did a little shopping. Becca got some beautiful African dresses and a skirt, and I got an African shirt (with matching pants). Beth’s going to love me in that outfit; I can just feel it. :-)

We spent the first couple of hours this afternoon at a local restaurant. It was good…in fact, I think even Bro. Mike and Bro. Tony could have found something on the menu to eat (and to think my grandmother thought I was a picky eater). Ha!

We’re heading to a village in a few minutes where we’ll spend 3 or 4 hours this evening. There are actually a couple of believers in this village, so we’ll have the opportunity to worship with them in a distinctively indigenous manner. I’m looking forward to that. Bro. Tim Edwards (pastor of FBC, Highlands, TX) will speak briefly tonight on praying for their friends and family members, and I’m going to speak to these same folk next week about sharing their faith. Pray for me as I prepare. Obviously an American preaching format is out the window when you do something like this, so I need God to fill my heart and mouth with His Word.

We’re getting better with our Wolof (the language used most commonly here). We’ve learned to use basic greetings and questions…and it’s just so neat when the words work like they’re supposed to! Actually, most of the people are so impressed that you’re trying to speak their language that they are very gracious to help you know the right words.

Oh, by the way, God blessed us last night with a thunderstorm—rain, lightning, thunder, the works! Never mind that the power was knocked out 3 or 4 times in the night…the storm was wonderful. Actually we’re on the front end of the “rainy season,” which is a relative term here. Don’t get the idea that it rains a lot during the rainy season, only that this is the season of the year when it rains.

I want to thank you again for keeping up with us and praying. We are powerless here without God at work around us and through us, so your prayers are huge. You’re on mission with us as you pray! We love you and miss you!

6 comments:

knlewis said...

Brother Larry and Becca, So happy that Becca is feeling better. Addie prayed for her last night.
Our prayers are with you. Our prayer is for the Holy Spirit to move those you come into contact with. That they would be receptive to you and Becca as you are planting the seeds for the Kingdom.
Addie wants to tell Becca that she loves her and wants to know if Becca has seen any monkeys, giraffes, or elephants?? The sweet mind of a 4yr old.
Love, The Lewis Family

susan said...

Hello Mamsay and Laman!!!! I have been thinkin about the both of you and prayin real hard since you guys left. I know you are lovin on the people there, I can see it in the pictures. Gee...God is Good. I hope Becca is feelin better (lots of fluid and protein-peanut butter works great)We are all prayin for ya and the work God is doing in both of you and the people you are meeting. I feel like we are taking the trip with you. Have a blast, take care. Susan Johnson

Larry Robertson said...

Thank y'all for reading and praying! Kim, tell Addie we haven't seen any of those animals yet, but we've seen lots of cattle, goats, and chickens. Maybe we have to be deeper into the continent before we'd start seeing the exotic animals...I don't know. But tell her that God heard her prayers and made Becca better.

Morgan Robertson said...

hey dad and becca! mom and i enjoyed talking with yall this morning. we miss yall and love yall! have yall bought us anything at the market? mom wants to know. hahaha. dad,we want to see you in your african outfit! haha. love ya'!!
(:

Phyllis Hobson said...

We are so excited about your updates, and the way God answers prayers and continues to bless your work there. And on top of that, He gave you your favorite thing--a thunderstorm! Isn't God good!!

Jerry & Phyllis

Brenda J said...

We were so glad to hear Becca was feeling better on Wed. night when we talked to Beth! We were praying hard! It is hard enough to be at home and not feel well.
May God continue to bless you both and open many doors for you while you are there.
We can't wait to hear more when you get back home.