Thursday, July 16, 2009

Parasitic sins

I've already shared that I brought back an African souvenir that I didn't mean to. I'm doing much better, by the way. But I've been thinking...

Evidently I picked up some kind of parasite without even realizing it...and it lay dormant in me for some period of time...and then at the "right" time (wrong time for me but right time for it), it manifested itself. How many sins develop in our lives the same way?

A thought or an image finds its way into our hearts, perhaps without us even realizing it at the time...and it incubates within us for some period of time...but then, seemingly out of nowhere (but we know better), we're tempted to commit some sin.

Let's not be so naive, folk. Satan's goal is to destroy you and me (and dishonor God in the process). And he operates in parasitic ways to accomplish his goals, unleashing tempting opportunities that cater to the most base part within us. Oh sure, maybe we don't feel the consequences immediately...but they're coming! Be sure, they're coming.

I've been taking two medications for my "problems"--Flagyl and Cipro. They're designed to kill the parasites and bacteria that have made me sick.

I want to encourage you, in spiritual terms, to enlist the Flagyl of faith and the Cipro of sanctification to fight off Satan's parasitism. We must be vigilant in the fight against our enemy! We must not give him even a place on the doorstep of our lives, much less a foot in the door.

These are my thoughts today...maybe they're only mine, but that's okay. God used my circumstances to remind me of greater issues at hand...

2 comments:

Barbara Jones said...

Thank you for prioritizing four posting to this blog. I read it every day.

Isn't it neat how a sermon can be made from something as annoying as a stomach bug.

We had a "bad" case of ants a couple of years ago. So bad that I wondered if God was trying to tell me something. So I got out my handy-dandy little computer Bible and keyed in "ant" and the following was my deduction.(I've been wanting to send this to you for a long time, but I know it is something of which you could likewise deduct if you had a bad case of "ants."

Proverbs 6:6 (NIV), "Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider it ways and be wise!"

Ants are amazing little creatures. They can carry 10-20 times their weight. They live in a community (centered around an egg-laying queen) whereas each one has a particular duty. There are those who provide nursery care; while others train the younger ants. Some cultivate underground gardens; while others "milk" for a nectar-like food.

They have special changeable careers (projects) where they communicate and "work together" for larger projects. They seem to have both a civic and military type of security that engineers for water traps that keep out rain. They move as much of the earth as much as worms.

Do (or did) you or your child have an ant farm? I'm sure that it would take much time and study to observe such a wonderful example community. Therefore, why not apply what others have already learned about ants to the Christian Church (notice the capitalized "C"). Within the church, are those who center their life around Christ and carry more than their fair share.

Also, there are those who work on special projects within the church that engineer an underground army and garden (underground meaning that they mostly encourage those who are willing to share God’s Word to the world.

Refer to Ephesians 4:11 whereas Paul is explaining the different spiritual callings. Just as each adult ant has a particular career, each of us have a particular talent (for furthering Gods' Kingdom) when, or, as we mature. Likewise, just as each adult ant has a specialized duty, some care for the young, while others and are responsible to raising up, and training others.

There are also, those who “milk” the system.

Barbara said...

Okay, I’m “antsy” to read another one of your daily thoughts.

My husband has a saying that while the computer has made life easier, it hasn’t made life better. I begged to argue with him (because I saw first hand all of the ways that the computer helped in the business world). It took a little while, but I now understand that it takes Jesus to “better” our life – the computer offers a form of confirmation as to how the Holy Spirit uses one another to refine our thoughts

Somewhere around fifteen years ago, I bought my first computer (specifically for Christianity-On-Line). Billy Graham’s organization had a wonderful system for posting on message boards regarding many of the Christian issues; such as: baptism, tithing, heaven, hell, end times, etc. However, it appeared that the system took too much maintenance; therefore, they keep updating it until they finally eliminated the “issues” (which still left a great system).

Anyway, I’ve known computer addiction. It is an emotional battle to live in the real world rather than the virtual world. Therefore, as my multiple sclerosis health has improved, I’m volunteering twice a week for three hours at our local United Way assisting April Collins in financial counseling. I’m also assisting Rita Arancibia with forming a local organization that will assist volunteers in locating which organization is the perfect fit for their skills.