Tuesday, July 14, 2009

“Souvenir” = French verb meaning “to remember”

I read the other day that 45% of English vocabulary is of French origin. If that’s true, that explains why we use so many French words in our everyday language and don’t even realize it. One of those words is “souvenir.” Did you know that’s French? It is. It’s the verb meaning “to remember.” And if you think about, it makes total sense. Why do we buy all those knick-knacks and trinkets when we travel? Is it not “to remember” our trip?

Becca and I bought some souvenirs in Africa…some artwork, jewelry, wood carvings, etc. But since we’ve been home, I’ve discovered another “souvenir” from my travels to remember my trip by. Every member of our team except Becca is sick with some kind of stomach bug (parasite/amoeba).

I’m on my third day thus far. Sunday was a bad day physically, but God’s grace enabled me to preach the morning and evening services at Hilldale. I wasn’t really “available” before, between, or after the services…but that side of the story can remain a mystery to my readers. ;-)

Someone mentioned to me this morning, “I hate that your trip has ended this way.” But I’ve got to be honest with you…our mission in Africa was worth it! Engaging the precious people in those Senegalese villages and sharing the good news of Jesus in the heart of spiritual darkness far outweighs whatever discomfort I’m now experiencing. Don’t get me wrong…I’m not enjoying this part of the journey AT ALL…but at least it’s happening on this side of the ocean and in my own house.

Just to put things in perspective in terms of how I feel about our time in Africa despite my sickness: I’d get on a plane today and head back to Africa if I could…well, after I pumped myself full of Imodium, of course. ;-)

Thanks for reading...

No comments: